How To Master The Job Interview
I have hundreds of people ask me each year, what is the secret to mastering the job interview? I tell them that it all comes down to preparation, getting into a mindset of success and being yourself. If you prepare well for the interview, visualize yourself doing the job and probably the most important thing be yourself, your chances of success dramatically improve.
Key Things You Can Do That Will Allow You to Master The Job Interview
1. Prepare for at least 3 hours. Develop your key questions, anticipate the questions that the interviewers will ask, research and become knowledgeable of the company’s products and services, and research who the interviewees are. Preparation is everything!
2. Role Play the Interview with a family member, friend or trusted advisor. Going through a mock interview, will increase your chances of success dramatically.
3. Put yourself in the shoes of the people interviewing you. Try to imagine how they feel about conducting interviews. The majority of people do not like to be spending time interviewing people, because it takes away from the day-to-day aspects of their job. So try to develop some empathy for the interviewers.
4. Turn the interview into more of a conversation. When the interviewers ask you, if you have any questions, lead with asking them questions about their background and history with the company. People like to talk about themselves, so this is a great way to create a relaxed atmosphere and turn the interview into more of a conversation.
5. Share with the interviewers, your expectations of yourself in the job, provide them with a high level 30,60,90 day plan that highlights how you will master the job and ensure key deliverables are met.
If you focus on the 5 key points listed above, your chances of getting hired will dramatically increase.
Contact me at 425-766-9778 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you need coaching on how to master the interview. The interview is everything, master it and start moving towards the career you want.
Paul is President and CEO of One World Consulting Group, LLC. Paul is a career coach and recruiter who serves individuals and companies from around the world. Contact me to discuss your career coaching or recruiting needs.